CLIMATE PLEDGE ARENA at SEATTLE CENTER
September 17, 2021
Along with the Arena opening, the Seattle Department of Transportation has designed improvements that include curbside modifications, enhanced Uptown and Arena access through transit, bicycle and pedestrian improvements. To learn more about how SDOT and Climate Pledge Arena are improving multi-modal transportation options in the Uptown neighborhood in 2021, visit www.seattle.gov/transportation/nodomap or www.climatepledgearena.com/transportation
As identified in the map above, street and sidewalk improvements are in progress. This work will include use of heavy equipment that may be impactful and generate noise. It is in progress at the following locations:
- Concrete on the west side of 1st Ave N between will be poured between Sept. 15-Oct. 1. Access to Pottery NW will be redirected on Thomas St.
- Work on the NW corner of 1st Ave N and Thomas St continues and is projected to be finished next week. Pedestrians will be detoured via signage.
- Work on SE corner of Warren & Thomas will start on Monday, Sept. 20th and is projected to be finished by the end of the week. Sidewalk and crosswalk work that includes concrete demo is projected to start next week and continue through the end of the month.
- Work at the intersection of Queen Anne Ave and Thomas St is projected to finish next week. While overhead work is being performed, traffic will be managed by UPOs.
- Blue/6 = Work on the south side of 2nd Ave N and W Denny Way is projected to start the third week of September.
- Installation of the protected bike lane on the west side of 1st Ave N between Denny Way and Thomas St is complete but not open for use.
From Saturday, Oct. 2 at 7 am through Sunday, Oct. 3 at 10 pm repaving work will be performed on parts of 1st Ave N and Thomas St. This work will be fairly impactful with noise and street closures.
- 1st Ave N will be closed to vehicular traffic between John St and Harrison St
- Pedestrian traffic will be maintained on the West side and access to Pottery NW will remain available
- Vehicles heading east on Harrison St will be able to turn left/north on to 1st Ave N
- Thomas St, will be closed between 1st Ave N and Warren Ave N, including both intersections (see attached map)
- Access to Sacred Heart Church will be maintained via 2nd Ave N or the alley between Warren Ave and 2nd Ave N
- Work hours will be 7 am-10 pm on both days. Street closures will remain in place overnight.
Proper signage, staffing and safety measures will be in place at all locations.
SDOT approved the use of 2nd Ave for inbound and outbound trucks during the hours of
7 am–10 pm Mon.–Fri. and 9 am–10 pm Sat., Sun., and Holidays.
SDOT approved routes for all hours include westbound on Thomas St. to southbound Queen Anne Ave. N.
The Arena MPPCNV is activated.
Construction is allowed 24/7. Impact work hours are limited to daytime work only.
Construction Impact Work Hours:
Monday- Friday 8 am – 5 pm impact work
Saturday/Sunday/Holidays 9 am – 5 pm impact work
- Sidewalk and crosswalk work that includes concrete demo on Thomas St at Warren Ave N is projected to start next week and continue through the end of the month.
- Ice rink dasher boards have been installed and glass installation is underway.
- Ice work is being done Sept. 27-Oct. 2.
- Work on the 1st Ave N garage is underway and includes pressure washing, striping, elevator and fire alarm, and signage.
- Doors and lighting are being installed in various spaces.
- Areas are being reviewed, signed off and sealed for occupancy.
- Stair and elevation work on the plaza areas continues to bring the exterior to life.
- Exterior art installations are underway.
- Installation of landscaping flora is underway at the north and east sides of the Arena.
- Scoreboard displays are being tested and nearing completion.
- Ribbon boards are installed and being tested.
- Food & beverage equipment installation continues.
- Interior art installations continue with some nearing completion.
- Retail spaces and concession stands are taking shape.
North Courtyard – Renovation of the North Courtyards (upper and lower) continues. The Courtyards are closed to the public and access will be limited to Seattle Center staff and Resident Organizations. Proper staffing and safety measures are in place. Courtyard work is being done during daytime hours only.
Upgrades to the upper NW breezeway between KEXP and The Vera Project continue. Improvements including replacement of the concrete slab, waterproofing and structural reinforcement of the slab are underway.
Work hours are Monday – Saturday, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm. This work is projected to continue through September and the breezeway will be closed to pedestrian access for the duration of the project.
Bi-Weekly Arena Meeting – Open to all, the bi-weekly Arena meetings are open house forums to provide project updates and coordinate with stakeholders including but not limited to local businesses, communities, SDOT, SDCI and Seattle Center resident organizations on construction impacts and efforts to support ongoing activities at Seattle Center and in the adjacent communities.
Date Time Location
Sept. 30th 6 pm Zoom Virtual meeting – https://climatepledgearena.zoom.us/j/95027490478
CONSTRUCTION HOTLINE: (206) 401-9896
CONSTRUCTION EMAIL: [email protected]
Follow Climate Pledge Arena on Social Media
Facebook & Instagram: @ClimatePledgeArena