CLIMATE PLEDGE ARENA at SEATTLE CENTER
August 20, 2021
Along with the Arena opening, the Seattle Department of Transportation has designed improvements that include curbside modifications, enhanced Uptown and Arena access through transit, bicycle and pedestrian improvements. To learn more about how SDOT and Climate Pledge Arena are improving multi-modal transportation options in the Uptown neighborhood in 2021, visit www.seattle.gov/transportation/nodomap or www.climatepledgearena.com/transportation
As identified in the map above, street and sidewalk improvements are in progress. This work will include use of heavy equipment that may be impactful and generate noise. It is in progress at the following locations:
- Work on the NW corner of 1st Ave N and Thomas St continues. Pedestrians will be detoured via signage and flaggers.
- Sidewalk improvements on the south side of Thomas St between 1st Ave N and Warren Ave N continue. Pedestrian access is maintained via a detour.
- Tie-in to the utility infrastructure is being done on the west side of 1st Ave N between Harrison St and Thomas St. This work continues and will require closure of the west traffic lane on weekdays between the hours of 8 am – 3 pm.
- Work on the SW corner of Thomas St and Warren Ave N continues and is projected to be finished before the end of August.
- Improvements at the intersection of 1st Ave N and Mercer St will continue through the end of August.
- Work on the south side of the 2nd Ave N and W Denny Way intersection is projected to start before the end of August.
- Work at the intersection of Queen Anne Ave and Thomas St is on hold.
- Installation of the protected bike lane on the west side of 1st Ave N between Denny Way and Thomas St is complete but not open for use.
Proper signage, staffing and safety measures will be in place at all locations.
SDOT approved the use of 2nd Ave for inbound and outbound trucks during the hours of
7 am–10 pm Mon.–Fri. and 9 am–10 pm Sat., Sun., and Holidays.
SDOT approved routes for all hours include westbound on Thomas St. to southbound Queen Anne Ave. N.
The Arena MPPCNV is activated.
Construction is allowed 24/7. Impact work hours are limited to daytime work only.
Construction Impact Work Hours:
Monday- Friday 8 am – 5 pm impact work
Saturday/Sunday/Holidays 9 am – 5 pm impact work
Interior and Exterior work – will progress during daytime hours, which includes Saturdays and Sundays from 9 am – 5 pm for impact work. All other work will occur as permitted by the MPPCNV.
- A test of the fire pump system will be conducted on Wednesday, Aug. 25th from 9 am – 11 am and Thursday, Aug. 26th from 10 am-12 pm. This is a standard, controlled test that will result in a quantity of water that may give the appearance of a broken water line. There will be no change to pedestrian or vehicular access.
- Arena interior is working under permanent power.
- Stair and elevation work on the plaza areas continues to bring the exterior to life.
- Installation of landscaping flora is underway at the north end of the Arena.
- Scoreboard displays are being tested.
- Suites are nearing completion.
- Food & beverage equipment installation continues.
- Escalators are installed and running!
- Finishing work in the press space is nearing completion.
- Interior art installations are underway.
- Installation of solar panels on the 1st Ave N garage continues.
- Installation of seats, safety glass and railings throughout the bowl continues.
- Retail spaces and concession stands are taking shape.
- Catwalk work and installation of lighting on the rigging grid continues during nighttime hours.
North Courtyard – Renovation of the North Courtyards (upper and lower) continues. The Courtyards are closed to the public and access will be limited to Seattle Center staff and Resident Organizations. Proper staffing and safety measures are in place. Courtyard work is being done during daytime hours only.
Upgrades to the upper NW breezeway between KEXP and The Vera Project continue. Improvements including replacement of the concrete slab, waterproofing and structural reinforcement of the slab are underway.
Work hours are weekdays 7:00 am – 3:00 pm. This work is projected to continue through September and the breezeway will be closed to pedestrian access for the duration of the project.
Bi-Weekly Arena Meeting – Open to all, the bi-weekly Arena meetings are open house forums to provide project updates and coordinate with stakeholders including but not limited to local businesses, communities, SDOT, SDCI and Seattle Center resident organizations on construction impacts and efforts to support ongoing activities at Seattle Center and in the adjacent communities.
Date Time Location
Sept. 2nd 6 pm Zoom Virtual meeting – https://climatepledgearena.zoom.us/j/95027490478
CONSTRUCTION HOTLINE: (206) 401-9896
CONSTRUCTION EMAIL: [email protected]
Follow Climate Pledge Arena on Social Media
Facebook & Instagram: @ClimatePledgeArena