CLIMATE PLEDGE ARENA at SEATTLE CENTER
July 9, 2021
Along with the Arena opening, the Seattle Department of Transportation has designed improvements that include curbside modifications, enhanced Uptown and Arena access through transit, bicycle and pedestrian improvements. To learn more about how SDOT and Climate Pledge Arena are improving multi-modal transportation options in the Uptown neighborhood in 2021, visit www.seattle.gov/transportation/nodomap or www.climatepledgearena.com/transportation
As identified in the map above, street and sidewalk improvements are in progress. This work will include use of heavy equipment that may be impactful and generate noise. It is in progress at the following locations:
- Curb improvement work on 1st Ave N between Thomas St and Republican St is underway. This will require closure of the east traffic lane.
- Thomas St between Queen Anne Ave and 1st Ave N is closed to vehicular traffic. This closure will be in place through mid-July. Pedestrian access will be maintained on the north side. There will be limited pedestrian access on the south side.
- Installation of the protected bike lane on the west side of 1st Ave N between Denny Way and Thomas St is projected to start near the end of July.
Proper signage, staffing and safety measures will be in place at all locations.
SDOT approved the use of 2nd Ave for inbound and outbound trucks during the hours of 7 am–10 pm Mon.–Fri. and 9 am–10 pm Sat., Sun., and Holidays.
SDOT approved routes for all hours include westbound on Thomas St. to southbound Queen Anne Ave. N.
The Arena MPPCNV is activated.
Construction is allowed 24/7. Impact work hours are limited to daytime work only.
Construction Impact Work Hours:
Monday- Friday 8 am – 5 pm impact work
Saturday/Sunday/Holidays 9 am – 5 pm impact work
Interior Work – All work will progress during daytime hours, which includes Saturdays and Sundays from 9 am – 5 pm for impact work. All other work will occur as permitted by the MPPCNV.
- Concrete demolition on the west side of the project is projected to be performed July 16-20. This work will include use of heavy equipment that may be impactful and generate noise.
- Finishing work in the press space is being done.
- Scoreboard work continues.
- Coordination and prep work for interior art continues.
- Roof work including drainage repair, cleaning and painting continues.
- Installation of acoustical panels continues.
- Installation of solar panels on the Alaska Airlines Atrium roof and the 1st Ave N garage continues.
- Installation of seats, safety glass and railing continues.
- Interior spaces are taking shape as work progresses with elements including fireproofing, sprinkler systems, lighting, framing, drywall work, painting, carpet installation and finishing work.
- Build out of the retail space and concession stands continues.
- Power and lighting is being switched from temporary to permanent, where possible.
- Catwalk work and installation of lighting on the rigging grid continues during nighttime hours.
- The perimeter sound wall has been removed as exterior work progresses.
- Build out of ingress/egress at all four corners on the exterior plaza continues.
- Exterior stairs and elevation work on the plaza areas continues to progress.
North Courtyard – Renovation of the North Courtyards (upper and lower) continues. The Courtyards are closed to the public and access will be limited to Seattle Center staff and Resident Organizations. Proper staffing and safety measures are in place. Courtyard work is being done during daytime hours only.
Upgrades to the upper NW breezeway between KEXP and The Vera Project continue. Demolition of concrete in the upper breezeway will continue through next week. Removal of the storage rooms is complete and improvements including replacement of the concrete, waterproofing and structural reinforcement of the slab is underway.
Work hours are weekdays 7:00 am – 3:00 pm. This work is projected to continue through September 1st and the breezeway will be closed to pedestrian access for the duration of the project.
Bi-Weekly Arena Meeting – Open to all, the bi-weekly Arena meetings are open house forums to provide project updates and coordinate with stakeholders including but not limited to local businesses, communities, SDOT, SDCI and Seattle Center resident organizations on construction impacts and efforts to support ongoing activities at Seattle Center and in the adjacent communities.
Date Time Location
July 22nd 6 pm Zoom Virtual meeting – https://climatepledgearena.zoom.us/j/95027490478
CONSTRUCTION HOTLINE: (206) 401-9896
CONSTRUCTION EMAIL: [email protected]
Follow Climate Pledge Arena on Social Media
Facebook & Instagram: @ClimatePledgeArena